Monday, January 10, 2011

The Mom You Wish You Were: SuperMom

Every one knows one. Or maybe your mother was one. I know that by the stories I hear my own mother was a fucking SUPERMOM.

According to my father, my mother was just amazing. I swear, she must have been some kind of robot. She was able to make us three meals a day. She kept the house spotless with not one, but TWO children. There was never a day the dishes went undone, there were never any crumbs on the floor, or in our highchairs. Not once did she lose a sippycup of juice only to find it months later under the couch or in the back of the closet. Never did she fall behind on the laundry. Our clothes were always clean, folded, and put away. We took our naps every day at the same time with no fuss, and went to bed perfectly. This left her enough time to balance the check book while catching up on her soaps and probably doing other super things that super moms manage to do in their super days.

I am not a super mom. I am not even close. And because I can't watch a toddler, cook dinner, clean the floors/dishes/tables/laundry, and still be "mom", I apparently am not a good mother at all. I can barely do all that and still be "me". But apparently my mother was able to do everything under the moon without even the help of a babysitter or even a television. I just don't understand it. I can't even clean and keep Krystal out of trouble with television AND a baby sitter. I can't even clean if she's anywhere near me. While I'm doing one thing she's on the other side of the room destroying something else. Not even her playroom is allowed to be out of order.

I think the best part is that nothing was or is ever overwhelming to these "super moms". Their kids are obviously as perfect as they are, and are potty trained before they even hit one. Again, I am not that kind of mother and never will be. I just can't. I don't know how, to start with. And I don't feel like losing everything I am and every bit of sanity to obsessively watch my children and make sure they never do anything wrong.

If that makes me a bad mom, well... I guess I suck.

0 comments:

Post a Comment